How to wash gold jewellery with soap and water at home?
You don't have to be an expert on how to clean gold jewellery at home! Just follow these easy steps:
- Give your solid gold bracelets, chains, rings and earrings a gentle bath by soaking them in warm water with a few drops of detergent soap or dishwashing liquid.
- Use a soft brush to clean the crevices and chain links. Give them a gentle scrub to remove any dirt trapped in them.
- Now pat dry with a lint-free cloth. Do not use tissue paper, paper towels or cotton while cleaning your jewellery as it may cause scratching and leave fibres on the jewellery.
Pro Tip: You can also make a jewellery cleaning solution by mixing a small proportion of baking soda with warm water. It is sure to be the perfect do-it-yourself jewellery polisher!
Alert: We do not recommend lemon juice and vinegar for cleaning gold as they are highly acidic and extremely unsafe which may cause damage to your jewellery.
How to clean gold ornaments at home with diamonds?
- Simply make a solution with warm water and a few drops of detergent.
- Soak your diamond jewellery for about 20 to 40 minutes.
- Gently scrub your jewellery with a very soft toothbrush and then rinse under warm running water.
- And finally, pat dry with a lint-free cloth.
How to clean gold ornaments at home with gemstones and pearls?
Please note: Hot water and harsh chemicals should not be used to clean any gold jewellery.
How to take care of gold jewellery at home?
Firstly, we recommend 18 karat gold and diamonds for durable jewellery that you can wear every day without worrying about its wear and tear. Why not 24 karat you ask? 24 karat solid gold is too soft and so unsuitable for everyday wear jewellery. Alloys are added to 24 kt gold to create 18 kt gold which makes the gold jewellery made from 18 kt gold stronger.
While cleaning your gold ornaments at home, remember to keep your jewellery away from household cleaning products, such as bleach, chlorine or other chemicals. These contain elements such as sulphur and chlorine that react with the other metals such as silver and copper in the gold jewellery, causing it to corrode and turn black.
To maintain the lustre and durability of your jewellery, avoid wearing it while showering, exercising or swimming! Always apply lotion, cosmetics, hairspray and perfume before wearing your jewellery. Especially with pearls, as it may affect its colour or lustre.
How to keep gold from tarnishing?
We recommend storing your pieces separately so they don't rub together or become tangled. Use jewellery boxes with Anti-tarnish micro-suede lining with multiple compartments or a soft pouch. You can take your favourite daily wear pieces off just before you hit the bed and store them in a jewellery box or tray on your bedside table and put them on as soon as you're up! To avoid your pearls from turning yellow, wipe them after every use to remove body oils and perfumes from its surface. You can also use a store-bought gold cleaner to regularly clean your jewellery.
When you feel like the home - cleaning method isn't restoring the shine of your gold jewellery, it is probably due for a re-polishing.
We also offer complimentary re-polishing! All you need to do is get it to us, please refer to our Returns, Exchange and Repairs section.
Till then, keep STACing!